Installation of solar fans is easy, but you need to follow certain steps to place them correctly and function as to how you want them to be.
It is good to consider solar fans since solar power counterbalances over 70 million metric tons of carbon dioxide every year in the US. Please continue reading to learn more about solar attic fans and how to install them.
What Are Solar Attic Fans?
An attic fan acts as a ventilation system that decreases the temperature in your attic by releasing hot air and bringing cool air in.
Temperature is reduced, and your air-conditioner is not overworked because the cool air decreases the temperature in your attic, so there is less heat going through your roof.
You do not need to keep your solar attic fan up and running all the time. You need a solar fan when direct sunlight goes on your roof tiles to make space underneath hot. Your solar fans start to function when the sun shines on the solar panel, which generates energy.
How to Install a Solar Attic Fan
Supplies You Need
Flat pry bar
Drill or driver
Installing a Solar Attic Fan in 13 Steps
- Mark the location of a solar outlet between 2 roof rafters in the attic.
- Place a nail in the middle of the area where the vent is.
- Put fall-arrest and roof support structures to the roof.
- Using a homemade dowel compass, outline the vent’s flashing on your roof.
- Using the utility knife, cut the shingles along the outline.
- Pull out the nails and take off the shingles.
- Using a compass, outline the hole for the vent onto the roof sheath.
- Use the reciprocating saw to cut a hole in the roof.
- Take off the shingles around the opening of the vent.
- Put roofing cement on the sides of the hole.
- Put the roof vent on the hole and screw the flashing to the roof.
- Put additional caulking near the flashing.
- Change the roof coverings with one and a half-inch nails around the vent.
Finally, you have a better understanding of what solar attic fans are and how to install them. You can save money when you decide to install solar attic fans. You need to follow the installation steps to ensure that you put them correctly and benefit from energy savings.